Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Work in Progress Wednesday 183

Hi everyone! I'm home safely from Stitches West and had a great time! I got to meet so many amazing people that I've talked to forever, including Stacey from FreshStitches! Hi Stacey! :) I'll try and write a recap post and also show off my yarn haul this week, but I'm trying to get a wholesale order out the door so I can't make promises. I hope you had a great weekend as well!


I decided not to show my Sock Yarn blanket this week since I started a new project yesterday (Tuesday) and since I'm making it with Stitches West yarn, it is perfect. You'll see enough of the blanket coming up, since I'm crazy addicted to working on it.



This may look like a hat, but it is actually a sweater! The picture is deceiving because it's out of thick chunky weight yarn and US 10 needles. Before I learned how to knit, I first saw the Owls sweater by Kate Davies and knew I had to learn how to make it. Several years later, here I am finally getting around to it! The picture makes the yarn look black, or very dark gray, but it actually has a green tint to it. It's Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio Chunky in colorway Edgewood. The amazing thing about this yarn is that each skein is 300 yds, so I need less than two skeins to make the full sweater. Due to that, I'm being brave and not switching between skeins. I'm sure they will look different, but I'm hoping I can use the first skein for the body, up until I split off the front and back, then use the second skein to knit the sleeves and yoke. Maybe that way it will look intentional. I just couldn't imagine carrying around two skeins of 300 yds each of chunky weight yarn. The ball is the size of my head and I actually had to ball about half of it by hand because my ball winder couldn't handle it. As you can see, I've gotten pretty far and have probably only knit on it for a few hours. It's amazing how fast Chunky yarn works up!

Anyway, that's it for me today. I hope you all have a great rest of the week. We're supposed to FINALLY get some rain here in San Diego (or actually the whole state for that matter) and I can't wait. I plan to stay home this weekend and knit while watching movies!

I'll see you Friday!

For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier!

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the recap post and to more pictures of your wip's:)
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your haul! Sounds like you had an amazing time. I love the new project - that color is so neat!

    Hoping you get some good rain today. Here in our area of Texas we're due for some too. So far we've had thunder and lightning since about 4 am - hoping hoping hoping for rain too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were at Stitches, saw you tagged a few times on instagram. Can't wait to see more of this sweater, it's been on my radar for a while also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made the Owl sweater before and it's one of my favorites. Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those little owls on the sweater pattern - can't wait to see your Stitches haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely color you've chosen! My owls is currently languishing i my WIP pile because I suspect I'm going to run out of yarn. Argh! And I promised my DH to not buy any yarn! Dumb, I know :-S

    ReplyDelete