Friday, June 22, 2012

FO Friday 92

Happy Friday!!!!!!! I'm happy it's Friday. It's been an okay week, but who doesn't love the weekend? The weather has been gorgeous in San Diego lately, in the mid 70's F. You can't ask for much nicer than that, though I do wish it would warm up a little for the weekend so that we could go to the beach and not be cold! The last few weekends we've gone, I've ended up in a cardigan sitting on the sand. That's no fun. Are you doing anything fun this weekend?


I didn't plan to finish this shawl so quickly. I guess I started it about a month ago, but I didn't really work on it that long. I didn't start the lace until Sunday afternoon and only did a few rows Monday and Tuesday. I did a lot of it Sunday and Wednesday.  The pattern was really fun, as just when it was getting boring with the garter stitch top, the lace pattern started. It's a 4 row pattern repeat and it flew on the needles once I dug in and memorized the pattern.


This is the shawl finished and unblocked. I'm mad at myself as I forgot to measure it before blocking. I always love to hear people tell you the wing span before and after blocking. Next time. :)


This is the shawl while being blocked! To show you how much bigger it is, you can see the puzzle piece part of the boards in the top picture. I was just standing over the picture with my camera as it sat on my living room coffee table. The blocked picture, the middle of the shawl is at the same point, the puzzle piece connection part again, but this time, to get the whole shawl in the picture, I'm standing on one of my dining room chairs! I'd say it over doubled in size. Crazy right?

This is my first time blocking a lace shawl. I think there's a few areas now that I look at the pictures that I could have fixed, but overall I think it looks okay. I don't have blocking wires, so I just used a LOT of T-pins. I'm excited to see it dry and fully blocked in the next day or so!

For those who plan to do this shawl, I'll give you a few tips as once I got to the lace part, I was a little confused with row 3 at first. It's actually an 18 sts repeat. At first I thought it was 12.

I put markers at every 18 stitches of the repeat so that I knew I always had the correct amount. I also put different color stitch markers at the middle area that isn't a fan/feather until the end and then another color that was the middle 5 stitches, as well as the end sts markers. That way it's easy to see when you get a ton of stitches what is feather/fan and what isn't.


Materials:
Pattern: Multnomah shawl
Yarn: Alexandra's Crafts Merino/Tencel yarn (400 yards) in colorway Sea Anemone
Needles: US 4 (3.5MM) Knit Picks Harmony
MANY stitch markers

Share your FOs!

39 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it, its on my list, and I definitely love how quick it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I loved making my Multnomah, but chose the most absolutely hideous exorcist-puke green for it. Le Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always make it again and gift your other one!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I'll have to add this to my queue, you make it sound fun, fast and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to! It's a free pattern as well, even better!

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful! And I love the tips, that sort of thing is so good to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One thing I love about having a blog is giving little tips like that so people don't have to go through the confusion I did at first!

      Delete
  5. Very nice pattern - fan & feathers is one of my favorite lace stitches, and a resulting lovely shawl in beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually my first time doing feather and fan! It was fun and so easy.

      Delete
  6. Lovely! I'd like to see a close up of the colours in your yarn, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to take a closer up picture once it's done blocking. I'll post it next week. :)

      Delete
  7. It looks awesome, can't believe how quickly you got it finished. This pattern has been on my to do list for quite awhile. Will have to make note of your notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked as well! Once I actually picked it up and worked on it exclusively, it only really took me a few days.

      Delete
  8. You've done really well blocking it with pins. I usually end up with odd points when I try. Looks awesome. Sounds like we've had all your heat; it's been unbearably hot up here in Toronto. This weekend we get back down to high seventies, instead of nineties, so that's a relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like that. I've read how NY is unbelievably hot as well! Don't worry, we'll get out heat I'm sure! Summer is just a little late to these parts.

      Thanks! Pins are hard. I made sure to use a LOT of them and didn't pull the shawl out as tightly as I honestly could have.

      Delete
  9. I really need some of those foam blocks too for blocking my scarf (all done and still not blocked...lazy me :p). It looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These are new, as I just got them last weekend. They're just foam flooring that I got at a hardware store by my house. They're really big so it' great because you don't need to use a ton of them (like my other set). The set of 4 was only $9.

      Delete
  10. It looks lovely! Beautiful colors and wonderful job with the blocking. I need to add this shawl pattern to my to-knit list now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning. I love the colours. What a difference blocking makes - it totally transforms 'raw' knitting into an even greater thing of beauty. Suzanne: you can block your scarf on an ironing board. I block mine in vertical sections using the cold water spray method, making sure the ends are supported so that their weight doesn't distort the part being blocked. The blocked part is carefully loosely folded and kept well away from the sprayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip, Pauline! I've heard people of also blocking on a mattress!

      Thank you. :)

      Delete
  12. Nice shawl! Incredible the change after the blocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a totally different piece of knitting, doesn't it!

      Delete
  13. You did a fantastic job with the blocking!! That shawl is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me quite a long time to block!

      Delete
  14. You finished that up fast...I wish I could say the same for mine. Thanks for sharing the pattern, I think I might try it out.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab shawl!! I keep seeing this pattern and I think I might need one in my life! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shawl is absolutely gorgeous

    ReplyDelete