Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dyeing for Fun Part 2

To continue my (hopefully) weekly post about yarn dyeing leading up to opening my company's internet doors, here is another look at a colorway that I made for Alea as a Christmas gift! She has been into socks lately (as you all know from her WIPW posts), so I thought that a fingering weight would be perfect. She promises to show pictures of how it knits up once she receives the yarn and starts on the socks (or whatever she decides to make with it). I'm going to hold you to that, Alea!







Colorway: Tutti Frutti
Fiber content: 100% Merino Wool
Weight: Fingering/4-ply
Yardage: 440 yards
Unit Weight: 100 grams
Care: Hand wash/Dry Flat
Dyed with: Kool-aid, Wilton's Icing Dye and neon food coloring

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What a lucky friend!

    I need to start dyeing one of these days. Or at least overdyeing the yarns I'm not crazy about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narwhal Love, you should! It's fun, not too hard and you get a reason to be messy!

    Kathleen, thanks! I can't wait either. On this one, I actually have NO idea what it will look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice colorway! It's inspiring to see your work after hearing that you are planning on opening your own company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Affiknitty, thank you! My husband is currently designing the logo for it! I can't wait. I hope to be open in a few months when I get a nice stock of dyed yarn that I'm happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami, did you dye this by dipping different sections in different-colored dye solutions? I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pentalia, thank you! I hand dyed it, mixing the different dyes and then putting them in individual squeeze bottles. Then I applied the color with each bottle one at a time. That's also how I dyed my California colorway, with more instruction on how I did it: http://tamisamis.blogspot.com/2010/11/busy-busy-busy.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait!!! :D Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alea, you're welcome! I'm hoping to send your package off this week. :)

    ReplyDelete