Friday, September 17, 2010

FO Friday 1

First off, I wanted to say happy birthday to my husband, Kurt! I hope he has a good day at work today and an even more awesome weekend!

Welcome to the first ever FO Friday! I decided to try this out after I received feedback on if you would be interested in participating or reading a weekly FO (Finished Object) Friday post. We'll give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes.

This week, I'm going to share a project that I first showed as a WIPW in week 1!


You may remember this picture from WIPW

I was looking for a fun hat to make a few weeks ago, one that I could wear once it gets cold (or as cold as it gets here in San Diego) to walk the dog. When I first started crocheting, I made a tight fit beanie that was very simple, just using single stitch in the round (or maybe it was double? I don't remember). Anyway, it was my first project in the round, and I was mostly doing it to learn something new. The hat fit, though a little tight, and I even wore it to work a few times. It became one of my regular rotations, at least when a purple hat was appropriate. That's right..purple. LOL

I thought it would be fun to make something with a little more life to it, and that also was a color I could wear with more things than a black shirt and jeans. I searched on Ravelry, and I must say, it was hard to choose. I didn't want anything too complicated, but it seems like the easier ones all looked a little plain design-wise, like my purple hat.

That's when I found The Animator's Hat by Crochet Kitten on Ravelry. It's not that the hat was so much better than the rest of them on the site, I loved that it was called The Animator's Hat. You see, since I was very little, I wanted to be an animator. I dreamed of working for Disney one day. My college degree is in art with an emphasizes on animation, so this hat seemed almost made for me! I also loved all the pictures shared on Ravelry of the finished product from the different people. The ridges of the hat gave it dimension. I got started almost right away.

I initially thought it would be too big for me, but as I got closer to the end of the hat, I realized it fit me perfect! I've said this before, but I made it with Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn Yarn, and I really do love it. It's 100% acrylic but super soft. If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, or don't mind ordering it online like I did, do give it a try if you are a fan of soft acrylics.

I can't wait to wear the hat when the leaves begin to change and the frost appears on the grass in the mornings. I think I'm going to make one as a Christmas present for one of my family members as well!

Materials used:

6.00 mm (J) hook
Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn (main portion- Navy/strips- Gray Mist)
Yarn needle

I worked on it from August 8-11th.






Just like WIPW, please use the Mr. Linky to share your FO Friday post.


10 comments:

  1. A good idea, I don't have an FO for every Friday but this Friday I do! A pair of socks. Thanks for starting this as well as the WIP Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Kurt! I want to tackle some more wintery hats, I'll need them pretty soon haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really will soon be hat season won't it. Yuck, hat hair, but I can sure knit 'em and gift 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Northern Monkey- don't worry, you can participate whenever you have a new project finished. Thanks for joining this week!

    Alea- I'll let him know you said happy birthday! Yeah,, wintery hats are soon, especially in your area! LOL

    Dina- I agree, hat hair, yuck. But the good news is, if you are already having a bad hair day, hats cover it up! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. FO friday is a great idea. But I won't post this week, no new FO to post. I might next week, if I get that bolero done.. aargh... the last bit seems to be taking forever.

    The hat's real cute. I think crochet and hat are perfect for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Vinita! No worries. Whenever you can join in, feel free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute hat. FO's aren't necessarily a weekly thing for me...but this Friday I had one (yay me! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to your hubby and cute hat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had an FO sort of, but just couldn't get around to posting on Friday. I'm just pitiful.

    Nice work on your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Kathy! Don't worry about trying to do it weekly. Whenever you have a FO, join in!

    Thanks, Suravi. We had a great weekend celebrating. :)

    Denise, no problem! Post it next week! LOL

    ReplyDelete