Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Work-in-Progress Wednesday 1

Welcome to the first WIPW (Work-in-Progress Wednesday)! I can't wait to see what everyone is working on this week. Just post a link to your blog post in the Mr. Linky widget below and it should save it so everyone can check it out.

I have a few projects going myself, in different stages of completion:


I started working on this hat this past Sunday and haven't been able to pick it up since. It seems it will be a little bigger than I originally intended, so it will probably end up a hat for my husband. I'm using Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in Navy. Not to sound cliche, but I do love this yarn! It's reasonably priced and much softer than Red Heart Super Saver. The only problem is, I don't have a Hobby Lobby near me (or in California for that matter), so I have to order it without seeing the colors in person. Kind of a bummer, but I think I will be ordering more for sure!




My best friend in my school years just had a baby and I thought it would be great to make an amigurumi for her new son. His nursery doesn't have a theme, so I thought a yellow and blue giraffe would look cute in any baby's room! As you can see, I have most of the pieces finished (minus one horn) and just need to spend the time putting it all together and adding the face. I can't wait to see how he turns out! It is a free pattern from Red Heart.



Last but not least, you will be seeing this in the WIPW posts for a LONG time. About a month ago, I learned the afghan stitch and decided to start a wool blanket for the upcoming winter. I love how thick the stitch ends up, but it is slow going! I'm doing each square individually and then will connect them. The yarn is Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool yarn. I'll be using the brown with cream, solid brown and then cream with brown once the blanket is finished. I haven't worked on this in awhile, but it's a nice change from making amigurumi.


As I mentioned above, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in yours to get the word out! The more the merrier!

27 comments:

  1. Added my WIP! Can't wait to see what everyone is working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to see the giraffe when it's finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added my WIPs to the list. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you have been busy! That giraffe is really cute! I made a bunch of little swatches of different stitches etc the last few days. I guess they are sort of works in progress. When I post it (which I was thinking for today anyways!) I will be back to link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your afghan skillz! I wouldn't have the patience..

    ReplyDelete
  6. goodcraftbadcat, thanks, going to check yours out now!

    Vivianne, I'll be interested too. LOL

    accountantgrrl, thank you. I'll check your blog out soon.

    Alea, I have been busy! LOL Can't wait to see your post.

    Fiolinn, thank you! This is actually the first one I've made. The stitch is fun but takes FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to start this! I can't wait to see all the projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE that cobalt blue yarn, and can't wait to see the giraffe! Thanks for doing this -- It's such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Andrea!

    Slippermoonstudio, I love the yarn too! Like I mentioned, it's super soft for such a cheap acrylic yarn. I'll definitely be buying a larger collection. I'll post a picture of the giraffe as soon as I finish it, hopefully sometime in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to do this, and I can't wait to see your giraffe especially - I keep wondering if my crochet skills are up to amigurumi (not sure my spelling skills are, either ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Susie, thank you! To do amigurumi, all you really need to know is how to single stitch crochet in the round and to follow a pattern! It's super easy. :) You should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you don't mind me linking up my link while still using the name I've been using for my craft posts! I think this will inspire me to post more often even if I don't have a "done" project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course not, Alea! You can call it whatever you want. Thanks for the shout out for the blog and WIPW. Your post inspired me to learn granny squares and the ripple stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great idea Tami. I've added my link as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is fun being a part of everyone's wip! Thanks for the great idea! I posted mine too, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Alicia and Suravi! Love both your WIPs, too. I'm having so much fun today, checking out everyone's work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I love that Hobby Lobby Yarn! I see a trip there sometime in the near future. Thanks again for starting this, I love seeing what everyone is working on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Erin! Try the yarn, it's great! I have it in two different blues, two different grays and cream. All are very soft and, unlike Red Heart Super Saver, it all seems to be the same thickness/durability.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have added mine...it's taken me most of the day to find time to sit down and do the post and my efforts this evening have been hampered by 3 of my feline "helpers". They kept playing on and under the desk and unplugging my keyboard cable!! Naughty kitties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Added my WIPW just in the nick of time...whew!! Can't wait to share each week and to see what my fellow crafters are working on!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Posted a link to my WIPW post. (yay! redundant!) It was hard to decide which WIPS to post up there! ha ha...

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun idea for a meme. I love your blue and yellow giraffe.
    I'm new here and just became a follower of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am already making WIP Wednesday posts - it's always good to join another group, though. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to.

    Um...not very happy /at all/ about being forced to use one of the login ids offered below - none of which have anything to do with the persona associated with my fibre blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I've added my WIP. Does it still count even if I blogged it on tues and linked it on thurs? I missed weds altogether. In fact I've been convinced it's still weds all day today....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dina, I have two of those feline "helpers" myself, plus a puppy so I totally understand. LOL Glad you were able to post.

    kissingtoast, thanks for adding the link. I'm excited to see what everyone is working on each week too!

    sl-park, wow, you must have quite a few project going on at the same time! That's awesome!

    Crystal, thanks for the follow and the kind comments!

    plumbum, do you mean the "comment as" portion to comment in or the Mr. Linky? As far as the comment as, that's what Blogger chooses. What log in ID would you rather have? I can check to see if there are other options in my settings. Sorry about that.

    Kezz, no problem, maybe it was Wednesday somewhere in the world when you posted it! LOL ;) Thanks for joining along.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like the WIP-Wednesday-concept. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks DaneMum! Join us for this week if you can. :)

    ReplyDelete